Baked ricotta. Need I say more? This ricotta bake recipe is so simple to make and takes baked ricotta to the next level.
We have something a little different for your next party with this ricotta bake recipe.
This parmesan and herb baked ricotta recipe is a simple and easy appetizer which you can make in the comfort of your own home.
It’s perfect served warm or cold, by itself, or paired with your favorite fresh vegetables, crackers, or even cold meats.
Baked ricotta is a simple and delicious recipe that is made from only 7 ingredients and takes about 35 minutes to make. It’s a great last minute appetizer idea and may very well become your next party crowd pleaser.
You can make this recipe by using one large ramekin or casserole dish, or you could even make individual portions by using smaller ramekins.
A Bit About Ricotta
Ricotta cheese is such a simple ingredient which can be paired with almost anything. But what exactly is it? Ricotta is a light, creamy, and slightly spongy cheese.
It’s made from milk, such as cow, sheep, or goat. Typically, the ricotta you buy from your local store is made from cow’s milk.
The word ricotta, means recooked. When cheese is made, the milk separates into two things: curds (the solids), and whey (the liquids). Ricotta cheese is made from the whey of milk, not the curd.
Ricotta cheese is naturally high in protein and low in fat.
For this recipe, I recommend using fresh ricotta rather than a smooth ricotta or a ricotta spread.
Also, for this recipe, you do not need to drain your ricotta cheese.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Looks like something you would buy from a gourmet deli but doesn’t cost as much.
- Simple and quick to make.
- Only 7 ingredients and four easy steps to make this delicious ricotta bake.
- Perfect to join your list of food for parties.
Please note that below is a guide for some of the ingredients we used in the recipe. The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
- Fresh ricotta
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Extra virgin Olive Oil
Step One: Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F). Grease a small oven safe baking dish (about 14 cm, 5.5 inches).
Step Two: In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk the egg, then add the ricotta cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
If you find your ricotta cheese is clumping together, gently break it up into smaller pieces.
Once you have mixed through the ingredients, taste it for seasoning. If you want to add more salt or pepper, you can do so now and mix it through.
Step Three: Place mixture in the greased oven safe baking dish. Flatten the top and then sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese on top. You can add more or less cheese on top to your liking.
Step Four: Place in oven and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Remove from the oven and drizzle the extra virgin olive oil on top.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $4.92
Substitutions / Variations
Add a pinch of red pepper flakes (chili flakes) for some extra spice and flavor.
You can store this baked ricotta in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
You can enjoy this easy party appetizer on its own or serve it with bread sticks, crackers, or plain bruschetta.
To add even more flavor to this baked ricotta, you could serve it with some of your favorite vegetables such as carrots, cherry tomatoes, peppers, or green beans.
This baked ricotta cheese recipe is indulgent, and creamy on the inside, topped with a beautiful golden crust.
This baked ricotta will last for up to 1 week when stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Made this recipe? Let us know how it went in the comments below! We'd love to hear how it turned out.
More Mains Recipes
Baked Ricotta Recipe
- 1 large egg (about 60 grams, 2.12 ounces)
- 2 cups (310 grams, 10.94 ounces) fresh ricotta
- ¼ cup (20 grams, 0.71 ounces) parmesan cheese grated plus 2 tablespoons extra (15 grams, 0.53 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus extra for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F). Grease a small oven safe baking dish (about 14 cm, 5.5 inches).
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk the egg, then add the ricotta cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Place mixture in the greased oven safe baking dish. Flatten the top and then sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese on top.
- Place in oven and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and drizzle the extra virgin olive oil on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Join the Discussion